Re: Is there a way to inhibit message3 from Elisp?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Is there a way to inhibit message3 from Elisp?
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 13:17:15 -0400

> My particular use-case is that I'm doing completion in the minibuffer
> with ivy.el, calling `shell-command-to-string' in the `post-command-hook'.
> And when I enable `while-no-input' in my function, my minibuffer
> contents get rudely interrupted by `call_process_cleanup' saying:
>> "Waiting for process to die...done"
> I'm sure that this message is needed and appericated,

Actually, I'm not.  IIUC this message appears if a call-process is
interrupted before the subprocess dies.   I think this message in not
desired in general.  It's OK to emit such a message if call-process ends
up waiting a non-negligible amount of time for the subprocess to die
(so as to explain to the user why Emacs is not responding), but for the
usual case where wait_for_termination returns quickly, we should not
emit any message at all.

Patch welcome to fix this problem.

> but I'd like to have an option to suppress it.  I think a variable like
> `inhibit-message' that I could let-bind would be a good solution to
> my problem.

I recently suggested to introduce a message-redirection variable, which
would provide a superset of what you want.  Patch welcome as well.

        Stefan