Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 13:15:52 -0400

> where 'wisi_statement_action' is an elisp function that uses 'pairs' to
> set text properties, should the module do GCPRO around the funcall, or
> does the funcall handle that?

I think it'd be OK to simply say that dynamic loading can only be used
on platforms that use the conservative stack scanning (i.e. don't need
GCPRO).
AFAIK all platforms that matter use conservative stack scanning.

>> I think `plugin_is_GPL_compatible' should be a float indicating the GPL
>> version.  Maybe even a char[] to express flavors, from a constrained set
>> of choices.
> +1 for the char[]. The variable could be named 'license_terms', so it
> could be used by non-GPL in special circumstances.

It took us many years to find a system with which the FSF is
comfortable, so I'm vetoing any bikeshedding on this name.
`plugin_is_GPL_compatible' it will be.

If you want it to be finer grained to detect incompatibilities between
Emacs's GPLv3+ and a plugin that's GPLv2-only, then please discuss it
with Richard (and maybe the GCC guys, since IIUC they use the exact
same system).
In the mean we'll just check the presence of this symbol rather than any
value associated with it.

        Stefan