Re: Bad moves with xref-find-definitions

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Bad moves with xref-find-definitions
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 18:09:19 +0300

On 04/26/2015 01:44 PM, Vitalie Spinu wrote:

Me too.

But you're willing to prepend `M-3' every time you want to look up something in Elisp? That's not really ideal either.

Ho about having multiple configurable "levels" of xref to be accessed
with numeric prefixes (M-1,M-2 etc). Then one can have M-3 M-. to always
access elisp references, M-4 M-. to access current tags and M-. for
whatever the current mode thinks is the best.

That's not bad, but it sounds like too much micromanagement to me. In any other editor, it would be accompanied by a dedicated UI, at least. I don't know if even Helm would cut it.

So, I'd rather see this as a minor mode. Maybe a package in ELPA?

Personally, I expect "serious" backends to either replace the need for etags entirely, or delegate to them and collect the results internally.

Would be nice to be able to set the "level" dynamically. For example, if
I have a related code which I want to consult only rarely, I build a tag
table for that code and hook it immediately on M-8.

That new minor mode could offer a capability to simply switch to a different source, temporarily, or just for one command. And keep the history of already-configured sources.

A source configuration would not just be limited to the xref- vars, though. If you want to consult certain tag tables only sometimes, those sources would store the value of tags-table-list, for instance. And restore it upon quitting.

  > How about `xref-prompt-for-identifier', to mirror CIDER's option name?

Sounds good.

Added.