Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 09:30:02 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > > What is the difference with:
 > > - (load custom-file) + (load user-init-file)
 >
 > The first case will crash-and-burn if some of the settings in
 > custom-file only work after some of the code in the user's
 > user-init-file.

XEmacs did this for years (when XEmacs was very popular), and there
were no such problems.  I suppose settings in custom-file rarely
depend on init settings in "crash and burn" way.  The real issue is
supporting the occasional user who wants fine control over the
custom-loading process.  See my reply to Thierry for a use case.