Re: Bad moves with xref-find-definitions

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Bad moves with xref-find-definitions
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 04:23:13 +0300

On 04/27/2015 10:36 PM, Bozhidar Batsov wrote:

This was not my doing. I suggested C-x 4, but there was strong
opposition for it.

https://github.com/clojure-emacs/cider/issues/1014? Maybe people just missed the suggestion. And note how in https://github.com/clojure-emacs/cider/pull/1044 someone wonders why it works in a different way.

Anyway, at this point you can add support for xref, and gradually deprecate the alternative bindings.

Sure, that's clearly a possibility. I just didn't want to go overboard
with this. Such a config has pretty much the same complexity as adding a
second set of commands that simply do the different thing.

I think it's a bit easier than asking a user to change a set of key bindings. Should take less code to implement, too.

Having separate bindings for "always prompt" might be a good idea anyway, though. Like F12 vs Ctrl-P in Sublime or Ctrl-Click vs Ctrl-N, etc, in IDEA.

IDEA also uses a different interface for multiple choices in the Ctrl-Click case.

OK, but this contradicts with the behavior of Emacs's own
`find-function`, `find-variable`, etc.

It does, but find-func is kind of auxiliary package. None of these commands have default bindings.

Life has told me that's it's pretty hard to please everyone. :-)

We probably have different standards for user satisfaction. "Everyone is equally annoyed" is often quite enough for me. :)