Re: xref backends for elisp-related modes Was: Re: Bad moves with xref-f

From: Vitalie Spinu
Subject: Re: xref backends for elisp-related modes Was: Re: Bad moves with xref-find-definitions
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 13:59:03 +0200

 >>>  (João Távora)on Tue, 28 Apr 2015 12:41:19 +0100 wrote:

 >> Maybe obvious, but this struggle with the choice of the
 >> default backend wouldn't be there if xref was able to merge backends.

 > I don't see how. How would we remove elisp-xref-find as a backend in
 > certain help-mode contexts without touching the code where such
 > contexts are setup.

Then xref-etags + xref-elisp grouped backend can be the default
everywhere except when it's explicitly redefined.

 >> (FWIW, I would also like to have elisp xref in info mode.)

 > But only for the elisp manual, right?

For all info actually. There are a lot of emacs packages in info for
which xref-elisp is meaningful. For non-emacs documentation other xref
backends are not that meaningful IMW.

BTW, this is potentially one good user case for the proposed contextual
dispatch in cl-generic. You might want dispatch xref on context more
refined than major-mode, emacs related info pages in this case.

 Vitalie