Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization

From: Wolfgang Jenkner
Subject: Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 19:29:31 +0200

On Tue, Apr 28 2015, Drew Adams wrote:

> Doesn't sound like a great idea, to me.  (Perhaps it was a joke?)

Not at all.

The purpose is to clearly indicate that setting or binding the variable
in the straightforward (and normal, if you will) way won't work.

> You propose to pretty-print the `custom-set' value, which is a
> lambda form or a symbol, systematically for `C-h v'.

Yes (if it's non-nil, of course).

> For one thing, that information is already available from `C-h v',
> by clicking the link for the file where the option is defined.
> That shows you not only the custom setter but the `:type' info etc.
> - the complete `defcustom'.

The docstring is supposed to (informally) indicate which values make
sense.  So, usually, it's not necessary to follow the link to the source
for this.

Wolfgang