Re: Is INLINE_HEADER_BEGIN still useful?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Is INLINE_HEADER_BEGIN still useful?
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 08:07:40 -0700

Oleh Krehel wrote:
I got no warnings when I tested my buffer.h patch.

Try './configure --enable-gcc-warnings'. Certainly the warnings do appear on some modern GCC implementations -- otherwise we wouldn't have gone to all that work to suppress them so recently.

Maybe someone on the list
could respond if they use a compiler that doesn't support the C99
"inline" declaration?

It's not as simple as that. Although most compilers have grokked the 'inline' keyword for some time, this does not imply full support for C99 'inline' everywhere. For example, OS X 10.8's standard headers do not work when used by extern inline functions, so Emacs can't simply assume C99 inline will work on this relatively recent platform (released July 2012 and still in wide use).