Re: Emacs 24.5 on Windows?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 24.5 on Windows?
Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 16:08:20 +0300

> Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 12:58:37 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> I've just realized that I didn't put a copy of 'libXpm.dll' in the
> emacs-24.5-bin package.
>
> Do you think it's worth uploading the package again with the above DLL
> bundled, or perphaps upload the DLL as a new, separate package?
> (FWIW, the second option seems cleaner to me; the library is optional
> for emacs and is developed separately from it)

It's up to you.  The downside of the separate upload is that people
will need to be told to download the second archive, and relied upon
to read those instructions.  But we could try that and see how many
people complain about colors missing from their tool bar.

> Also, I've noticed that the last version of that library seems to be
> 3.5.11 (see [1]), which is newer that the last version published in
> the emacs/windows folder [2], which is 3.5.8.  So I've tried to build
> version 3.5.11 (downloaded from [1]) from the same MinGW environment I
> use to build Emacs; but it fails like this:
>
>   $ ./autogen.sh
>   autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
>   autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
>   autoreconf: running: aclocal -I m4
>   configure.ac:17: error: must install xorg-macros 1.8 or later before
> running autoconf/autogen
>   configure.ac:17: the top level
>   autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
>   aclocal-1.15: error: echo failed with exit status: 1
>   autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

It needs to be hacked to build on Windows, because it originally
assumed X Window system only.

> However, I can build version 3.5.8 (from [2]) just fine (from the same
> build environment):
>
>   $ cd src
>   $ make
>   gcc -shared -o libXpm.dll  libXpm.def Attrib.o create.o data.o
>     CrIFrBuf.o hashtab.o Image.o Info.o misc.o parse.o
>     RdFToI.o rgb.o simx.o -lgdi32 -lcrtdll

It's already hacked, look at the diffs.

> Should we try to build version 3.5.11 or settle for v3.5.8?  If the
> former, do you know how to build that version of the library for
> MS-Windows?

I don't have time to build the newer libXpm; if you do, please feel
free.  FWIW, I don't see a compelling need, except to have the latest
and perhaps submit patches upstream, so that future releases build on
Windows out of the box.