Re: conflicting uses of next-error-function

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: conflicting uses of next-error-function
Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 02:20:48 +0300

On 04/30/2015 08:46 PM, Helmut Eller wrote:

next-error calls next-error-find-buffer.  Maybe we could record every
buffer that was returned by next-error-find-buffer and include them in
the candidate list.

That's not terrible, but then we have almost the same two non-ideal choices:

- Only record the buffers that have even been noticed as the value of next-error-last-buffer. This way we'll ignore e.g. Compilation buffers that have never had a chance to be used with `next-error'.

- Record all buffers that ever were returned from that function. This will also include normal (file-visiting) buffers where next-error-function is set locally (and usually only points to locations within that buffer).

Here's a different heuristic: return all buffers where next-error-function is set, but buffer-file-name is nil. Probably not ideal, but it'll clearly delineate between normal and special buffers.

I guess that will only leave inability, at certain times, to choose the current buffer's next-error-function over some Compilation buffer's one (http://debbugs.gnu.org/20489).