Re: conflicting uses of next-error-function

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: conflicting uses of next-error-function
Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 08:54:11 +0200

On Sun, May 03 2015, Dmitry Gutov wrote:

> On 04/30/2015 08:46 PM, Helmut Eller wrote:
>
>> next-error calls next-error-find-buffer.  Maybe we could record every
>> buffer that was returned by next-error-find-buffer and include them in
>> the candidate list.
>
> That's not terrible, but then we have almost the same two non-ideal choices:
>
> - Only record the buffers that have even been noticed as the value of
> next-error-last-buffer. This way we'll ignore e.g. Compilation buffers
> that have never had a chance to be used with `next-error'.
>
> - Record all buffers that ever were returned from that function. This
> will also include normal (file-visiting) buffers where
> next-error-function is set locally (and usually only points to
> locations within that buffer).

I was thinking of adding a new function like

 (next-error-note-buffer BUFFER &optional DONT-SELECT)

that essentially replaces next-error-last-buffer for those packages that
bother to use it AND to add some degree of backward compatibility by
recording the buffer returned by next-error-find-buffer.

Helmut