Re: conflicting uses of next-error-function

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: conflicting uses of next-error-function
Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 17:12:42 +0300

On 05/03/2015 04:25 PM, Helmut Eller wrote:

Sorry, hadn't fully understood option two.  Yes, it option two probably
covers most cases that are relevant in practice.

Here's the problem: with global-flycheck-mode on, all emacs-lisp-mode buffers have next-error-function set locally (to flycheck-next-error-function). And that function navigates between byte-compilation errors and warnings within the current buffer, which is very much in line with the next-error-function docstring (which says "find the next error in the current buffer").

Thus quite often next-error-find-buffer will return any emacs-lisp-mode buffer (for instance, when it's the only one visible in the current frame). If we remember all such buffers,

a) In a long-running Emacs session we'll remember a lot of them.

b) Setting next-error-last-buffer, while in one emacs-lisp-mode buffer, to another emacs-lisp-mode buffer doesn't make sense, because the latter only contains local error positions.

Thus, the resulting remembered list will be ill-suited for completion in the "change next-error-last-buffer" command.