Re: xref-find-matches and stuff

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: xref-find-matches and stuff
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 15:39:00 +0300

On 05/04/2015 12:17 PM, Helmut Eller wrote:

With a separate xref-find-matches command it would make sense for
xref-find-apropos to work more like the normal apropos, with doc-strings
and such.

They still have different purposes, but sure, we can make an xref-with-doc element or something, which would render itself with a docstring.

Ideally use the same UI as Elisp's apropos.

That might be more complicated: a) the element would need to be specialized for the elisp backend, with type and plist, b) pressing RET in M-x apropos output does not get you to the symbol's definition; instead you jump between various Help buffers. I don't know if we want that for xref-find-apropos, that's certainly hard to generalize across languages.

If we're going to modify something then location info better be super
accurate.

The "search and replace" interface would have to be something like M-x tags-query-replace, at least at first. It's using a regexp, so people are probably used to confirming each replacement.