Re: Why aren't ELPA packages compressed?

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: Why aren't ELPA packages compressed?
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 16:56:50 +0000

 > Some packages in ELPA have sizes around 5 MB, so I wonder why they
 > can only be downloaded as uncompressed tarballs?

 > Everything that is necessary to handle compressed files should
 > already be there in Emacs.

        I guess that the reason’s similar to the HTTPS case: the Emacs
        compression support may be dependent on the presence of specific
        libraries (as in: Zlib) on the target system.

        That said, it should be perfectly possible to configure the
        Apache HTTP server at elpa.gnu.org for transparent compression
        support; that way, the data would be sent compressed by Apache
        whenever the client claims to support compression.  (By the
        means of the ‘Accept-Encoding: gzip’ HTTP request header.
        A glance at url-http-create-request seems to suggest it /does/
        implement support for such requests.)

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://am-1.org/~ivan/      … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A