Re: xref "find references" and grouping

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: xref "find references" and grouping
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 00:29:02 +0300

On 05/04/2015 04:10 PM, Vitalie Spinu wrote:

Note that sorting with trees is not so straightforward. Depending on
sorting criteria you will get a very different trees in terms of inner
structure.

You can still have a sorting command, and sort the output when it's a tree. The process would admittedly less obvious than with a tabulated list widget, though.

Trees also tend to waste a lot of space and are more demanding

Again, we heavily disagree about what a waste of space is. In my mind, repeating the same value certainly qualifies.

cognitively because you need to figure out where one tree starts and
where it ends. As the "height" of each tree is different that could be a
rather hard task unless you use a clear delimiter between trees. But
that means using additional vertical space for delimiters.

There's no need for delimiters, I think. Just use different faces for group headers, and hope that tree branches of different lengths won't happen too often.

One huge advantage of flat displays is that you can narrow candidates on
whatever component. So you can simply use selective display like occur,
helm-occur or ivy to narrow your buffer. You cannot do that with trees.

That's an advantage, yes. However, how are you even going to fit the xref-find-references output in a tabulated list? It contains full lines. If you put them in a column, the rest of the columns will surely overflow.