question about recent change

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: question about recent change
Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 13:01:48 -0600

I saw this go in:

    * lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el: New "external" package status

    An external package is any installed package that's not built-in
    and not from `package-user-dir', which usually means it's from an
    entry in `package-directory-list'.  They are treated much like
    built-in packages, in that they cannot be through the Package Menu
    deleted and are not considered for upgrades.

It seems to me that it makes sense to upgrade such packages.
The upgraded package can be installed in the user's directory.

This scenario was always a goal of package.el -- to let some packages
ship with Emacs or in the distro, and then to let users install new
versions themselves by when convenient.

It wasn't clear to me from the commit if this ability still exists.

Tom