Re: C-x 8 shorthands for ≤ and ≥

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: C-x 8 shorthands for ≤ and ≥
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 21:40:56 +0600

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 8:57 PM, Kaushal <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks. I personally never needed to use ». But for someone already using
> that, the ">>" binding is pretty intuitive (and same applies to "<<").

Consider also that there is the ≫ character (U+226B MUCH GREATER
THAN), which is semantically a better match for >>.

As for «», these are standard first-level quotation marks in Russian
typographic practice (among many others), but for a Russian user there
is no benefit in binding them to any C-x sequence. Because, when one
needs a quotation mark, one most probably has the Russian/Cyrillic
keyboard layout active. One would have to press the layout switch key
combo (typically Alt+Shift or Ctrl+Shift), then C-x, then whatever
binding you agree on, then switch layout again. As a result, no one
would use the proper typographic quotes, opting for the straight
double quote " (U+0022) instead.

Anyway, the problem of Unicode input needs to be solved on the
operating system or at least the desktop environment level, not in
each application separately. (Yes, Emacs is an application, not an OS
nor a DE.)