RE: How to properly document that a feature is new

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to properly document that a feature is new
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 11:12:29 -0700 (PDT)

> My question is: where do I specifically document the fact that this
> is new to 25.1?  Docstring, manual, both, or neither?

NEWS (only).  (Well, AntiNEWS too, if that still exists.)

NEWS is the Emacs equivalent of Release Notes.  In general, only NEWS
covers release-specific stuff.

The current doc should describe the current release of Emacs.  It can
mention that XYZ started with version N.M of Emacs, if that is really
needed for some reason (e.g. security), but that should be the case
rarely, if at all.

(My opinion, not necessarily official policy.)