Re: C-x 8 shorthands for ≤ and ≥

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: C-x 8 shorthands for ≤ and ≥
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 22:34:27 +0200

On 2015-05-11, at 18:27, Artur Malabarba <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Consider also that there is the ≫ character (U+226B MUCH GREATER
>> THAN), which is semantically a better match for >>.
>
> Good point. Since «» are quotation marks they could instead be moved
> under <" and >". That's not as intuitive, but it's still easy to
> remember once you see it once.
> Also, most cases where a user types C-x 8 >>, they'll be looking for
> most people who type » have it in their keyboard layout already.

I disagree.  I use « and » from time to time, and I /never/ wanted to
use ≪ or ≫.  The only use-case for them is in mathematical formulae,
where they are \ll and \gg.  BTW, this means that it's trivial to input
them using the TeX input method (which I have set as the default one –
very handy!).

And the argument of having « and » somewhere on the keyboard is also not
completely valid: in Polish, they are sometimes used as nested quotation
marks, but they are rare enough not to present on Polish keyboards.

That said, I consider using <' >' and <" >" as keybindings for single
and double quotation marks reasonable enough, if that's what makes
people happy.  I just wanted to mention that Artur's argument was wrong,
even though it was in favor of a reasonable suggestion.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University