Re: xref-find-matches and stuff

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: xref-find-matches and stuff
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 19:23:46 +0300

> Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 05:38:27 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > Thank you. But I was going to say that it doesn't match because NONAM
> > (see the comment above make_tag) does not include the double-quote
> > character (and tag-implicit-name-match-p obeys that).
>
> Yes, that was the reason.  I just helped etags use the explicit-name
> alternative in this case.

Btw, note the dramatic effect of this change on the results returned
by M-. for DEFVAR_LISP.

IOW, formerly src/TAGS would tell Emacs that all of this was the tag:

  DEFVAR_LISP ("pointer-make-invisible"

Which, of course, is incorrect, and caused a lot of false positives.

So the change to specify exactly where in the matched line is the tag
name was indeed in order, and the fact that \(..\) was used in the
regexp was a hint that it was intended.  If nothing else, the Emacs
manual explicitly advises to do so (which was how I became aware of
the feature in the first place).