Re: etags test is broken on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: etags test is broken on MS-Windows
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 21:26:39 +0300

> Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 10:57:57 -0700
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On 05/19/2015 08:27 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > I think it's due to DOS CR-LF EOL format of some files in the test suite.
>
> You're right, I misdiagnosed the porting problem.  Sorry about that.

Well, I should have thought about that (and tested it) before
committing the test suite in the first place.

> > If we agree that the problem is due to EOL format, we could try
> > thinking about a solution. The root cause for the problem is that on
> > Windows, etags accounts for the stripped CR characters, while on Unix
> > it treats them as part of the contents, so the byte counts are offset
> > by the number of the preceding lines.
>
> That sounds like a problem, but not a problem that the test case is
> trying to detect.  A simple way that should cajole the tests into
> passing is to remove the trailing CRs from the test data, so I installed
> a patch to do that.

Thanks.

I'm not sure the test suite wasn't trying to test this, though:
dostorture.c seems to be an exact copy of torture.c, except for the
EOL format.

Francesco, can you please comment on this?  Given that the Unix build
of etags does not remove the CR characters from DOS CR-LF EOLs, what
was the purpose of including files with DOS EOLs in the test suite?