Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9d35bb8: Fix minor quoting problems in doc stri

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9d35bb8: Fix minor quoting problems in doc strings
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 16:18:21 -0700

On 05/19/2015 03:30 PM, Dmitry Gutov wrote:

FWIW, these bits don't look quoting-method-agnostic to me.

The problem they're trying to address is that one can't reasonably expect a regular expression to handle cases where grave accent or apostrophe is itself being quoted `like this'. The simplest way out I could think of, for the few doc strings where this comes up, is to use a different quoting regime to quote the grave accent and/or apostrophe. (One can imagine more complicated schemes of course, but they seemed overkill.) In this situation the patch preferred curved double quotes where the original used `` and '', and curved single quotes otherwise.

-  "Whether to show ``[N]'' for the Nth item up to 10.
+  "Whether to show “[N]” for the Nth item up to 10.

The curly double quotes raise additional questions: would they be used everywhere instead of the escaped straight double-quotes (present in other places in your patch)?

I'm not proposing that, no.

Do they have any special meaning, like the single quotes?

No, they're just replacements for `` and '', which also don't have any special meaning.

Another possibility, which would also be fine and would be simpler, would be to replace all curved double quotes in doc strings with straight double-quotes. I could easily do that if you prefer; it's no big deal either way.