Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9d35bb8: Fix minor quoting problems in doc stri

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9d35bb8: Fix minor quoting problems in doc strings
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 10:23:24 +0600

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 4:30 AM, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:

>> -Used for file name completion.  Must not contain `'', `,' and `\"'
>> +Used for file name completion.  Must not contain ‘'’, ‘,’ and ‘\"’
>
> FWIW, these bits don't look quoting-method-agnostic to me.

Why want quoting method agnosticism within text that is English and
known to be English in the foreseeable five or ten years? Curly quotes
are the semantically proper way of quoting things in English, and can
be easily degraded to the spacing grave accent and straight single
quote. Upgrading those to curly quotes, on the other hand, requires
solving a hard problem, and the solution likely involves backslashes.