Re: subr-x on Elpa

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: subr-x on Elpa
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 16:46:49 -0400

>> It sounds very simple, but can obviously not be simple otherwise
>> someone would have done it already.
> Mundane maintenance tasks tend to be ignored, except by a select few.

There's nothing fundamentally hard about it, tho it depends how far you
want to go.  There are several levels of "bundling", e.g.:
1- just change the make-tarball script so it includes specific GNU
   ELPA packages.   This should be easy since it only affects those rare
   release managers who build the tarball.
2- do the same plus make it so that these GNU ELPA packages are also
   included for people who install from the emacs.git checkout rather
   than from the tarball.  This should be pretty easy, but may/will
   affect everyone who checks out the emacs.git repository without the
   elpa.git, or without placing the elpa.git right where the new scripts
   want it to be.  So you can expect some complaints/resistance.
3- same as 2 plus make sure that Emacs's own packages can depend on some
   of the bundled GNU ELPA packages.

Step 3 is needed if we want to bundle seq.el, which is an obvious
candidate.

I could even imagine a step 4 where we can have some GNU ELPA packages
preloaded in the dumped `emacs'.  Tho I can't see this being used in the
foreseeable future.

        Stefan