Re: etags test is broken on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: etags test is broken on MS-Windows
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 09:39:00 +0300

> From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 22:30:57 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > If by "file offsets" you mean counting bytes in the file,
>
> Of course!
>
> > then those will also be wrong after decoding non-ASCII characters,
> > unless the file was encoded in UTF-8 to begin with, right?
>
> Yes, of course.  Emacs will have to cope.

OK, then how do you go from "byte offsets will be wrong" and "Emacs
will have to cope" to this:

> ??? It's exactly the counter argument.  The indices in the tag file must
> be file offsets, everything else will lead to wrong offsets.

This seems to say that such byte offsets are the only "right" ones.
But we have just established that all of the byte offsets discussed
here, including the ones currently produced by etags, are wrong in
some sense.  What makes this "wrong" be "the only right one"?