Re: etags test is broken on MS-Windows

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: etags test is broken on MS-Windows
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 12:01:04 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
etags is only required to produce approximately correct byte
positions, and it does that well enough.

OK, but in that case the method I proposed in <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-05/msg00657.html> will do a better job (on all platforms) that what we have now, right? So it'd be an improvement, even if it's not perfect.

Although Andreas's suggestion of switching to a byte column count would also be an improvement over what we have now, it'd require a change to the tags file format whereas the method I proposed would leave the file format unchanged.