Re: What would an "An Official" GNU Emacs Book look like?

From: chad
Subject: Re: What would an "An Official" GNU Emacs Book look like?
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 14:20:08 -0700

> On 22 May 2015, at 14:31, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> It may be an advance, but (according to what I've been told)
>>> you can't write and run a program in any fashion on an iThing
>>> unless you pay for a developer's license.
>
>> This is not currently correct, but the practical hurdles are enough
>> to dissuade many end-users.
>
> I have confidence in the expert who told me it is not possible,
> but if you have evidence to the contrary I'd like to see it.

The specific steps are both non-trivial and a moving target, changing
with new versions of iOS and developer tools. A new version just
came out, so my experience is out of date, but with each version,
there is a way. If you would really like the specific details of
the current method, I can investigate that and get back to you. If
its enough to see a recent method, you can look here:

        http://iphonedevwiki.net/index.php/Xcode

I know you’re short on time and not overly fond of web-based resources
in general, but this one is readable in eww. I certainly did not
mean to imply that it was *easy*, but my understanding and (not
incredibly-old experience) is that it is possible. Certainly, the
vast majority of developers simply sign up for the license, at least
once. For most peoples intended use, its a practical requirement.

Hope that helps,
~Chad