Re: After a git merge and manual correction of a conflict, how do I tell

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: After a git merge and manual correction of a conflict, how do I tell git the conflict is fixed?
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 21:40:26 -0400

>     On branch master
>     Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
>     Unmerged paths:
>       (use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)
>       (use "git add <file>..." to mark resolution)

>             both modified:   .gitignore

You want:

    git reset .gitignore

This will not change the file itself, but it will mark the conflict as
resolved, and it will not record the changes in the staging area
(i.e. it will keep it as a local change that you don't intend to commit
soon).

        Stefan "who has the same kind of situation"

PS: Instead of modifying the .gitignore file, you might like to add your
own idiosyncratic glob patterns to either .git/info/exclude or to
~/.config/git/ignore.  See "git ignore --help".  In my case I change
.gitignore to remove the "*.rej" pattern in it, which I can't do via
~/.config/git/ignore or .git/info/exclude, but it sounds like in your
case it should work.