Unified project interface

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Unified project interface
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 14:43:23 +0300

Hi all,

A while ago, there was floated a "unified project root" proposal. I'd like to resume that discussion.

Unfortunately, the code proposed back them doesn't serve the immediate need I have in mind: basically, I need that function to return a *list* of directories, because both etags and elisp xref backends operate on multiple directories, via tags-table-list and load-path respectively.

If we have it, we'll be able to untie `xref-find-regexp' from xref backends, because really there's nothing language-specific to this command.

Now, before adding this feature to the core, are there other related general questions we want to be able to answer? Depending on that, a "project" might be better implemented as a cl-struct, providing specialized implementations for those several generic methods.