Re: Gnus & Mail-Followup-To

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Gnus & Mail-Followup-To
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 19:07:47 +0200

Nicolas Richard <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I saw that you have set :
>>>     <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>>>     address@hidden
>>>
>>> FWIW, it made Gnus set Eli as recipient of my answer. Is it the intended
>>> behaviour ?
>>
>> I don't know, ask the Gnus guys.
>
> Sorry, I was unclear.  My question to you was: is it what you intended
> when you set the Mail-Followup-To header to the above value ?  In
> particular, you were not among the recipients anymore. Did you want to
> avoid receiving a reply directly?

Yes, if possible.  And I have the configurations suggested by the Gnus
manual.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Group Parameters") ]
| ‘subscribed’
|      If this parameter is set to ‘t’, Gnus will consider the to-address
|      and to-list parameters for this group as addresses of mailing lists
|      you are subscribed to.  Giving Gnus this information is (only) a
|      first step in getting it to generate correct Mail-Followup-To
|      headers for your posts to these lists.  The second step is to put
|      the following in your ‘.gnus.el’
|
|           (setq message-subscribed-address-functions
|                 '(gnus-find-subscribed-addresses))
|
|      *Note Mailing Lists: (message)Mailing Lists, for a complete
|      treatment of available MFT support.
`----

So because Gnus knows I'm subscribed to emacs-devel, it didn't add
myself to the Mail-Followup-To header.

>> I just use `F` to follow up on a message and trust in that Gnus does
>> the right thing.
>
> I usually do that too, and then this one time I decided to look at
> what actually happens. I shouldn't do that obviously :)

Yeah, it's a sign you're losing faith!

> There are a couple other things I should do (e.g. investigate why I
> don't see some of my messages on gmane or why they show up slowly,

I'd guess that's a Gmane issue.

> why some threads are broken,

Possibly a broken References header unless you gather threads by subject
(the variable `gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function' controls that).
And then you'll sometimes have multiple threads combined into one
because of equal subjects...

> etc.). Usenetting/mailinglisting is hard :'(

Yes, totally.  And it got worse when people started using the broken
mail clients available for tablets/smartphones.  In the good old days,
it has been simpler.  Gnus was correct, then there were clients which
were mostly correct, and then there was Outlook you could accurse for
always being wrong. ;-)

Bye,
Tassilo