Re: string> missing?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: string> missing?
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 22:40:48 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>>   > You say that this goal no longer exists, but the practice of Emacs
>>   > maintenance tells me otherwise.  We are still making optimization
>>   > changes, some of them quite deep and pervasive ones, for very little
>>   > benefits, like a few percents decrease in memory footprint or in CPU
>>   > usage, even under the most favorable conditions.
>>
>> Adding string> might be 200 bytes.  Saving 200 bytes is insignificant.
>
> It was also insignificant back when you decided not to include it.

Adding string> to Emacs proper is maybe additional 200 bytes but may
save a multiple of its size when packages start using it instead of
defining their own version each.  For example, there are already
gnus-string>, org-string>, and also org-string>=.  And there are also
quite many lambdas implementing string>, e.g., in emacs/lisp/help.el, so
the addition of string> can in fact reduce the Emacs footprint if it
gets used there.

Bye,
Tassilo