checkdoc-current-buffer prints to stdout?!

From: Sebastian Wiesner
Subject: checkdoc-current-buffer prints to stdout?!
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 12:21:04 +0200

Hello,

while debugging unit test failures in Flycheck, I accidentally discovered checkdoc-current-buffer apparently prints messages to standard output in Emacs 25.1 in noninteractive mode.

Would you please revert this change?

I can understand the motivation for this “feature”, but it's generally a bad idea for an interactive function to print text to standard output depending on an opaque global environment.  It also makes backwards compatibility harder than it needs to be:  As things stand I have no choice but to check the Emacs version to print Checkdoc Errors in a consistent way across Emacs major versions, and that is somewhat ugly.

The purpose of this feature would also be served by a different entry point—we have `ert-run-tests-interactively` and `ert-run-tests-batch`, too.  If that is impossible please at least expose an option to turn this feature off.

On a related topic, I'd have fixed this issue much faster, had this change been mentioned in the NEWS.  Would you please be more strict about updating NEWS for breaking changes such as this?

Sincerely,
Sebastian Wiesner