Re: Unified project interface

From: Eric Ludlam
Subject: Re: Unified project interface
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2015 08:32:07 -0400

On 06/04/2015 07:43 AM, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
Hi all,

A while ago, there was floated a "unified project root" proposal. I'd
like to resume that discussion.

[...]

Now, before adding this feature to the core, are there other related
general questions we want to be able to answer? Depending on that, a
"project" might be better implemented as a cl-struct, providing
specialized implementations for those several generic methods.

In that old thread, I had proposed using EDE either as a supplier to a generic interface, or as a way to build said interface. Several people pointed out flaws in EDE's project detection scheme. Since that time I have accounted for those recommendations and added a severe test suite for detecting projects more cleanly. Those changes were merged into Emacs a while back.

As an aside, thanks for the advice back then.

In general, if there is a proposed generic project root type I'll be happy to enabled EDE to supply data to it. Alternately, if there is an interest in an EDE-lite where key functionality such as detection and providing a root path is pulled up into something that doesn't turn on all the other unwanted EDE features, I'd be happy to advise or help.

For an example, in 25.x, in cedet/ede/generic.el, look for `ede-enable-generic-projects' for some simple definitions. I'm sure the generic project type in EDE is overkill for what is wanted, so I'm assuming there would need to be a stripped down version.

As a reminder, ede uses CLOS, so there is a base object representing the project, and you can run methods against it to get information which would be simple to expand to any type of desired generic interface.

Eric