Re: Unified project interface

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Unified project interface
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 02:22:44 +0300

On 06/05/2015 04:03 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:

1) You are editing a LaTeX file containing documentation for a Python
module implemented in Python and C++. You want to find all mentions/references
related to feature "foo", in LaTeX, Python, and C++ source files. So you
invoke project-find-regexp, which searches for *.tex, *.py, *.hhp, *.cpp
in project-source-directories.

project-find-regexp? Do you imagine we'll need a separate command like that?

2) You are refactoring a C++ function foo::bar, and want to find all
references to bar* for comparison. You invoke xref-find-regexp, which
searches xref-source-directories.

Like mentioned, it'll hopefully be xref-find-references.

There are a couple of implementation options here:

- implement project-source-directories as the union of
   xref-source-directories for all backends listed in a project file

This sounds like you envision a one-backend-per-language kind of situation. I think that there should be just one backend there, set in a minor mode, that knows enough about this mixed project's structure, to know where to search.

- implement xref-source-directories as a subset of
   project-source-directories for each backend.

I'm inclined to the latter; it's closer to what ada-mode does now.

Could you explain what that means exactly? How is it implemented?