Re: Adding a few more finder keywords

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: Adding a few more finder keywords
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 17:43:04 +0200

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> I've just added `checkdoc-package-keywords' that checks if the
>> current file's keywords are in `finder-known-keywords'.
>
> Why? There is no reason to signal to users that there might be
> a problem if they use keywords that are not in `finder-known-keywords'.

It's a matter of checking the current keywords against a list of
keywords that are known to be good. `finder-known-keywords' is a good
start for such a list.

> The purpose of `finder-known-keywords' is not to suggest that other
> keywords are a mistake.  File-header `Keywords:' is for arbitrary
> labels that any user can make use of.  It is not only for "standard"
> keywords that might be "known" to Emacs at any state, let alone to
> Emacs at startup.

I've provided a command that a package developer can voluntarily call to
make sure that the keywords he chose are sound.  It is for the benefit
of all users if >2000 known packages can be organized by a smallish list
of keywords, with no redundant synonyms, typos etc.  If a package author
doesn't want to conform to the keyword guidelines that I propose to
recommend, fine: it's just a recommendation.

Oleh