Re: Adding a few more finder keywords

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: Adding a few more finder keywords
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 08:52:57 +0200

> 1.  There *should* be a list of "recommended keywords" which package
>     maintainers can easily access for reference when choosing keywords
>     to specify for their packages and users can refer to get an idea
>     of the keywords maintainers are likely to use.

This is what I was thinking. And it would facilitate adding an option to
filter the package list by tags. I mean not searching (that should be
there too), but browsing. 2000 packages is a lot, but if you narrow to a
"git" tag, you'll get less than 50, which means there's a chance to
browse them all. Similarly, "theme" should be a tag, enabling the user
to browse all available themes. Most common package managers have an
option to narrow to a tag. Emacs could be more flexible to allow e.g. a
"+git +file -theme" tag filter.

To give an example, Synaptic package manager has around 50 sections,
featuring separate sections for R, Haskell, OCaml, PHP, Ruby etc.
So if a user wants to see everything Emacs has to offer on Ruby, he'll
just filter to a "ruby" tag. And then it's the package's author's fault
if he didn't specify the proper tag.

These tags could be also used to make the built-in files more visible.
For instance, I've learned about cmacexp.el on this mailing list. But I
could (and would prefer to) have learned about it by looking at the "c"
tag. Here's the result of git grep:

    lisp/find-file.el:5:             ;; Keywords: c, matching, tools
    lisp/obsolete/cc-compat.el:9:;; Keywords:   c languages
    lisp/progmodes/cc-align.el:13:;; Keywords:   c languages
    lisp/progmodes/cc-bytecomp.el:8:;; Keywords:   c languages
    lisp/progmodes/cc-cmds.el:13:;; Keywords:   c languages
    lisp/progmodes/cc-defs.el:13:;; Keywords:   c languages
    lisp/progmodes/cc-engine.el:13:;; Keywords:   c languages
    lisp/progmodes/cc-fonts.el:9:;; Keywords:   c languages
    lisp/progmodes/cc-guess.el:10:;; Keywords:   c languages oop
    lisp/progmodes/cc-langs.el:13:;; Keywords:   c languages
    lisp/progmodes/cc-menus.el:12:;; Keywords:   c languages
    lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el:13:;; Keywords:   c languages
    lisp/progmodes/cc-styles.el:13:;; Keywords:   c languages
    lisp/progmodes/cc-vars.el:13:;; Keywords:   c languages
    lisp/progmodes/cmacexp.el:8:;; Keywords: c
    lisp/progmodes/cpp.el:6:;; Keywords: c, faces, tools
    lisp/progmodes/cwarn.el:6:;; Keywords: c, languages, faces
    lisp/progmodes/ebrowse.el:7:;; Keywords: C++ tags tools
    lisp/progmodes/flymake.el:8:;; Keywords: c languages tools
    lisp/progmodes/hideif.el:8:;; Keywords: c, outlines
    lisp/progmodes/hideshow.el:7:;; Keywords: C C++ java lisp tools editing
comments blocks hiding outlines
    lisp/tooltip.el:6:;; Keywords: help c mouse tools

It could look a lot more pretty with the package description and
all. And the point is that a person who appreciates C will likely check
out all 22 built-in files that have the "c" tag.