Re: Adding a few more finder keywords

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: Adding a few more finder keywords
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 10:54:12 +0200

Artur Malabarba <address@hidden> writes:

> On Jun 9, 2015 7:52 AM, "Oleh Krehel" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> This is what I was thinking. And it would facilitate adding an option to
>> filter the package list by tags. I mean not searching (that should be
>> there too), but browsing.
>
> Like the f key? It doesn't support the "+git +file -theme" filter you suggest
> later, but it does filter by single tags.

Almost. Synaptic package manager does more than "f": it shows you tags
in a list (of length ~50). When you click a tag, you narrow.

To make "f" equivalent to what Synaptic offers, there should be a way to
have around 50 prominent completions for it. Currently, the completion
list for "f" on my system has a length 1000. Barely useful for
searching, unusable for browsing. Unless you know the correct tag. Then
it's good.

So two points:

1. have ~50 tags instead of 1000, preferably visually.
2. add all built-in files to the list when a tag is browsed.

The second point is important. Just today, I've read a thread on
emacs-help about iswitchb / icomplete, where it wasn't clear to people
that:

- icomplete provides similar features to iswitchb
- iswitchb is still part of Emacs

I think browsing "completion" tag could have cleared it up: a person, on
hearing iswitchb is obsolete, looks at "completion" tag:

- sees icomplete is there, built-in
- sees iswitchb is still there, built-in
- sees ivy/helm/icicles are also there