Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 14:04:14 -0700

Nicolas Petton wrote:
Paul Eggert<address@hidden>  writes:

>Tassilo Horn wrote:
>>But we're still referring to a function argument `foo' as FOO in
>>docstrings, no?
>
>Yes, there's no proposal to change that.
I don't understand.  When I enable electric-quote-mode and type `hello'
in a docstring, I get ‘hello‘ instead.

Tasillo was talking about function arguments, not about functions. For example, when I type 'C-h f car RET' I see the following, and here the argument is still written as all-caps LIST without quotation of any sort.

-----
car is a built-in function in ‘C source code’.

(car LIST)

Return the car of LIST.  If arg is nil, return nil.
Error if arg is not nil and not a cons cell.  See also ‘car-safe’.

See Info node ‘(elisp)Cons Cells’ for a discussion of related basic
Lisp concepts such as car, cdr, cons cell and list.