Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 09:03:31 -0400

> [1] But I agree with Drew that the `...' in `foo-bar' isn't quoting but
>     a markup which unambiguously says "foo-bar is a symbol."  In
>     contrast, ‘foo-bar’ is ambiguous.  It could be a quote or a symbol.
>     Well, of course there aren't too many quotes in lisp files so this
>     problem probably isn't too relevant in practice.

As you noticed, indeed, ‘foo-bar’ can be ambiguous, but `foo-bar' can
*also* be ambiguous.  Actually, there are many more uses of quotes and
backtits in Elisp docstrings and comments which are not used for markup,
then there are of ‘ and ’.

To me, one of the motivations for the change (after the visual aspect) is
to have a *more* robust handling because it is *less* ambiguous (within
the context of Elisp).

        Stefan