Re: ASCII-folded search [was: Re: Upcoming loss of usability ...]

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: ASCII-folded search [was: Re: Upcoming loss of usability ...]
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 09:16:16 +0100

>> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 13:52:49 +0900
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> Marcin Borkowski writes:
>>
>>  > On the other hand, it would be great if we had an "ascii-folding"
>>  > option, making (some reasonable subset of) Unicode "equivalent" to
>>  > ASCII,

If we're bringing this up again, I kindly suggest that people have a
look a previous thread here called "Character group folding in
searches". Here's the link:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-02/msg00362.html

It offers 3 implementations. I think the second
(group-folding-with-case-table-lisp.patch) was quite adequade.
The only reason it wasn't applied is that Eli and Stefan wanted
something that also matched non-spacing marks, or composite
characters, whereas case tables can only map single characters to
single characters.

The first implementation (group-folding-with-regexp-lisp.patch) didn't
have this caveat because it didn't use this case-tables. The only
caveat it had is that it only works for non-regexp searches.

Attached are the two patches I mentioned here.