Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 20:26:02 +0200

On 2015-06-18, at 20:13, Steinar Bang <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> In a search engine hits with "aa" instead of "å" would be expected,
>>> but in emacs search I would only expect to hit "å" and "Å")
>
>> You might, but others might have other expectations.  They should be
>> able to have them.
>
> I'm pretty sure all native users of "å" would never wish a search to hit
> "a" (of course... being able to search for "å" in the first place, is
> progress...).

However, many non-native users might wish for that.  Use case:
a bibliography for a scientific article, written in Emacs + AUCTeX +
LaTeX, containing *lots* of completely foreign names, with the author
having *completely* no idea how the native users treat these letters -
he only want to look for that name containing an "å", and doesn't even
know which input method/code point/whatever can be used to actually type
this letter.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski