Re: Translation of single quotes in doc strings is now optional.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Translation of single quotes in doc strings is now optional.
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 08:41:15 -0700

Michael Albinus wrote:
Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

A simple approach would be to extend 'format' via a ` flag, so that we
can replace (format "Rename `%s' to `%s'" old new) with (format
"Rename %`s to %`s" old new) to get customizable quotes, but this
would entail changing several format calls in the source and I am
trying to think of something less intrusive.

My usual rant: this is not backward compatible, and would bring
tramp*.el sources into trouble. And yes, Tramp sends this kind of
messages.

By "backward compatible", I assume you mean that code using the new ` flag would not be portable to older Emacs. There shouldn't be any compatibility problem in the usual sense, as the change would be a pure extension to 'format', i.e, it wouldn't affect Tramp's behavior if we left Tramp alone.