Re: Translation of single quotes in doc strings is now optional.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Translation of single quotes in doc strings is now optional.
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 17:06:05 -0700

Artur Malabarba wrote:
How about defining a new function, `format-and-quote-translate', which
converts all `' in the format-string to round quotes if desired?

Yes, that's the sort of thing I had in mind. The idea is that 'message' will call the new function instead of plain 'format', and that other functions like 'message' will be similar. The new function will generate quotes in the style the user prefers (style setting established by the new custom variable, which probably needs renaming). The name I came up with was 'format-message', since it'll be the format style that 'message' uses (and that's shorter and easier to remember than 'format-and-quote-translate'....)

This wouldn't suffice in general, as there are many instances that don't use 'format' or anything like it. However, it'd handle many (perhaps most) of the diagnostics that currently quote with grave accent.