Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Paul Nathan
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 14:35:06 -0700

Hello gentle emacs-devel members,

I am a boring person with a bog standard US keyboard, who uses emacs extremely regularly, and I would prefer that the character set used be 7-bit ASCII, for the single and solitary reason that I would prefer to type out characters rather than hunt them down on the Internet or some font program to copy & paste the character into my emacs. The vast majority of the programs I write and the files I work with are 7-bit ASCII. This is, indeed, typical of the organizations I have worked with. Non-ASCII rendering was confined to .po files and other i18n situations.

It is perhaps unfortunate and certainly an accident of history, but my keyboard is limited, and is as limited in its _expression_ as my ancient IBM PS/2 keyboard.

It would satisfy me if I could have a variable *render-in-7-bit* that could be set to T, and I could continue on my placid and slightly antique way, with an aesthetic renderer taking over when *render-in-7-bit* is set to NIL.