Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Elias Mårtenson
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 16:42:48 +0800

On 22 June 2015 at 09:44, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:

On this subject, you can spell it "comment and objections", but in my
experience what you get is "prejudice and hysteria".  I see no reason
to change that assessment for what has happened here.  I've been
through these battles a number of times, and the comment and objection
stage is always just a waste of time and bandwidth.  Nobody ever
changes their mind based on so-called "rational argument"; the only
actual result that ever happens is that implementation is always
delayed, and often proponents give up entirely for a while.

For what it's worth, reading through this discussion has changed my mind. I went into this sceptical of the change, but I'm now convinced it's the right thing. I just updated gnu-apl-mode to use the curly quotes instead of the old style.

I'm assuming that the existence of the curly quotes will not screw anything up (as in: the application will still work and not crash in your face) in older versions of Emacs. Can anyone confirm this?

Regards,
Elias