Re: make-pointer-invisible on Windows

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: make-pointer-invisible on Windows
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 08:36:06 +0200

>> Hopefully only for the first self-inserting character typed.  After that
>> the f->pointer_invisible != invisible fails until the mouse is moved.
>
> In theory, yes.

I'm using this for a couple of months and never had a problem in
practice either.

> But doing this makes me nervous, since inserting a
> single character is something the display engine knows how to optimize
> very well.  This disables all those optimizations.

Note that the mouse cursor can appear _anywhere_ on your frame when you
type the first character.  So in order to get rid of it you do have to
redraw the entire frame IMO.

> There are less radical ways of triggering more thorough redisplay,
> than redrawing the whole frame.  I will look into this when I have
> time, if no one beats me to it.

Please do that.

>>   > Also, what about the equivalent of the X code that makes the pointer
>>   > visible on focus-in events -- don't we need that on MS-Windows?
>>
>> I don't know.  It's certainly not necessary on XP here.  People would
>> have to try though.  In general, it seems that X and Windows differ
>> quite substantially in their respective behaviors.  For example, on X,
>> when a synchronous shell operation is active, the cursor becomes visible
>> as soon as the mouse is moved.  On Windows, the cursor remains invisible
>> until the shell operation terminates and the frame gets redrawn
>> (obviously, the frame doesn't look very decent in that period either, so
>> there are worse problems).
>
> I don't think this is related to the issue at hand.

I don't think so either.  My point was that X and Windows run into
different problems when trying to make the pointer invisible.

martin