Re: A simple solution to "Upcoming loss of usability ..."

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: A simple solution to "Upcoming loss of usability ..."
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 18:03:20 +0300

On 06/26/2015 05:54 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:

In contrast, it's quite simple to use curved quotes to denote quotes.

People voiced their concerns about discomforts when typing those already. It's only "simple" in a very narrow sense.

This is a judgment call, and the conservative approach is of course to
add some more escape sequence complication to our ASCII-only approach,
and/or to use gimmicks like font-lock mode to display characters other

font-lock mode is no gimmick.

But you're conflating its usage with the ASCII-only approach again. They're orthogonal: you can just as well use ASCII quotes and translate them using substitute-command-keys. Or vice versa.

than what's actually in the buffer.  But really, it's much simpler to
use quotes to denote quotes, some of us prefer doing it the simpler way,
and we should give the simpler alternative a try.

I really wish you gave it a try in a feature branch, and then asked for a vote before merging it into master.