RE: ASCII-folded search [was: Re: Upcoming loss of usability ...]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: ASCII-folded search [was: Re: Upcoming loss of usability ...]
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 11:42:34 -0700 (PDT)

> > However, as has been discussed in several threads in the past,
> > here and in the bug list, there are several char-folding
> > possibilities that we might want to offer.
> >
> > There are any number of reasonable, default character equivalence
> > classes that you can think of.  And users themselves can come up
> > with any number of other such equivalence classes, some of which
> > are specific to a particular context.
>
> True, and which equivalence classes to offer is a whole new topic
> all by itself.

It's not a separate topic if we are now discussing whether to
indicate char folding in the mode-line etc.

> But the implementation is there now, all it takes it to offer
> more tables for it.

Irrelevant to the discussion of indicating char-folding in the
mode-line.

The point is that if multiple (and many!) kinds of char folding
are available, indicating any one of them - let alone any
combination of them - in the mode-line (as a whole, let alone in
the lighter!) is problematic.  And it would not be very helpful
to have only an indicator that said whether or not there was
currently *some* char folding.