Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 08:35:31 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:
I think we can, if we decide not to use them in doc strings around lists.
That way, `( will always be a backquote.
` will never occur before a symbol character
except when it is part of `...'.

Unfortunately that's not true for the current Emacs docstrings. For example, the docstring for verilog-auto-declare-nettype contains this:

Note using `default_nettype none isn't recommended practice;

Here the grave accent is part of Verilog syntax, and should not be displayed as a curved quote. Of course this sort of thing is unusual, but the point is that exceptional cases like this do occur and we need an escape syntax to handle them.