Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 18:23:33 +0300

On 06/30/2015 05:37 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:

I thought that font-lock couldn't use the same escape syntax that
substitute-command-keys does, and that this was why you suggested \~
rather than \= -- i.e., so that one could use \= to escape characters
that substitute-command-keys would otherwise interpret, and use \~ to
escape characters that font-lock would otherwise interpret.

Yes. That was while before you asked to only consider paired quotes, and I hoped to avoid text property lookups in help--translate-quotes. It looks up `help-tilde-escaped' now.

It would be better to use the one escape syntax, as it's one less thing
to explain to Emacs users.  But how would it work?  I don't see how.

substitute-command-keys will add a `quoted' (or `escaped'? I'm fuzzy on the difference) text property to the characters that were escaped in its input. Thus translating "\\=`'" to #("`'" 0 1 (escaped t)) (if we're still using "\\=" there).

Then help--translate-quotes will check that property, instead of `help-tilde-escaped'.